Due to COVID-19, this program will be available spring 2021. Please return on January 2021 for further updates.
Thank you for your interest in this year’s MAYS 2020 ‘ Lending a Hand’ Virtual Speech Contest. We would like to thank Vietnamese American Roundtable (VAR) for their partnership to host this program.
Please choose from the following prompts:
1) Topic: Hand in Hand
What are you passionate about? How can you share your passion with your local and/or global community in a way that fosters unity? Whether it be a social cause, organization, or hobby, describe your passion and how it connects you to your community and contributes to your worldview.
2) Topic: Arms Lengths Away
Have you ever had to confront your bicultural identity as an Asian American? Whether it was a situation of discrimination or celebration, describe the situation and what helped you come to terms with the intersectionality of your Asian American identity.
3) Topic: At your Fingertip
If you were to leave the Earth tomorrow, what is one impact or legacy you would want to leave behind or be remembered for? What do you think your purpose in life is? Identify a social issue or challenge of today and what kind of work or plans do you have to make it better. Or identify a career or field that interests you and how you plan to leave an impact through those skills.
1. Each speech must last a minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 5 minutes. An additional 5 points will be added to all speeches that stay within the time limit.
2. To fit the virtual format, we will only be accepting video submissions this year.
3. Because you will have the option to submit a recording, you may NOT have any notes for this speech.
4. Before starting your speech, please briefly introduce yourself. Provide your first and last name, grade, high school and prompt topic (i.e. “Hand in Hand”).
5. Please try to dress in appropriate attire (Semi-professional, if available) for your video submission.
6. If accessible, please use a microphone and record yourself on “landscape” mode.
7. Please simulate a live speech performance (imagine that you are in front of a crowd, use the floor but don’t go off-screen, use appropriate hand gestures, and ensure that you're projecting your voice at an appropriate volume).
8. Access the scoring guideline here
**Monetary awards will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. Monetary awards will be distributed to the winners after Saturday, November 14th, 2020.
1st: $250 per student
2nd: $150 per student
3rd: $100 per student
Sunday, October 31st
Monday, November 8th
Saturday, November 14th